Saturday, May 8, 2010

Introduction

Hello and welcome to my blog about my Waldorf dolls.  I have been making dolls since around 2004.  You may see my previous work at my other blog.  I have made all kinds of dolls over the years.  My passion is cloth and paperclay.  That is until I had my daughter.  A baby can't hug or play with a fragile paperclay doll.  The need to make something, or someone if you prefer, special, warm and wonderful for my baby girl grew and grew.  I did some research and came upon the world of Waldorf dolls.  It all just clicked for me.  After some time and hard work, and many failed attempts, I finally made my little girl her own Waldorf doll.  



It is my wish to continue making Waldorf dolls.  I am not the fastest dollmaker at the moment.  So this blog will be updated slowly. I recommend becoming a follower so you may stay up-to-date.

If you take the time to look out there on the internet, you will find some of the most amazing and inspiring Waldorf doll artists.  I recommend starting with the Steiner Doll group on Flickr.  There you will get to see representatives of kind souls expressing their love through Waldorf dolls.

Thanks,

Coppermouse Dolls

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful picture! And I am very interested in your new direction. I love the look of Waldorf dolls. In fact I just used some German stockinette to cover an Izzy.

    I have a question about Paverpol and wanted to ask you about it but have no contact information. Mine is northdixie at gmail.com

    Can you paint on top of dried paverpol?

    Dixie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dixie,

    You can paint over Paverpol. I prepare the surface as I would a canvas. I prime it with model paste and then sand it for a smooth finish or leave it as it is so you can see the brush strokes. It depends on what kind of surface you want. Then I use acrylic paints and glazes. Lastly, I'll coat it with an acrylic satin varnish. I should mention that when you coat your hardened paverpol with the model paste, it will soften just a bit. Meaning that the surface will dent, but it will return to it's shape after the model paste dries. The model paste also serves as a waterproof barrier. As a result, you will not have to worry about the surface becoming soft again. It took me off gaurd the first time I primed it.

    One last thing I wanted to mention is, I live in Texas. So it's really humid and therefore the paverpol takes longer than twenty-four hours to dry. I pop my doll in the oven to fix this problem (be sure nothing is touching the area you covered in Paverpol; otherwise, it will not only mess up the surface but it will bond with it too). The oven is set on the lowest temperature. Usually, withing two to three hours the doll is ready. Let it cool off to room temperature and you're ready for the next step.

    I hope this helps. And if you need any other answers, I'm happy to help.

    Best Wishes,
    Melisa

    ReplyDelete